HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 464404

Hob Uid: 464404
Location :
Kent
Canterbury
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TR1518058070
Summary : Numbers 22 to 26 The Cathedral Precincts, comprise the whole of the north side of Green Court. Originally these buildings were some of the service buildings of Christchurch Priory and included the bakehouse, brewery and granary. They now form part of King's School.
More information : Nos 22 to 26 (consec) The Cathedral Precincts. Grade 1.
[TR 15185807-sited from HHR map]. These comprise the whole of the
north side of Green Court. Originally these buildings were some of
the office buildings of Christchurch Priory, such as the bakehouse,
Brewery and Granary. They are now part of King's School. The range
includes work of various periods including modern restoration after
bomb damage. (1)

(TR 15185806) Canons' Residence [NR]
Forrens Gateway [NR] Remains of [NAT]
Granary [NR] (Remains of) [NAT]. (2)

No 22 The Cathedral Precincts. Mainly 19th century, but incorporating remains of priory granary. Some more recent restoration after war damage.

No 23 The Cathedral Precincts. Forren's Gate, early Perpendicular.
Restored 19th and 20th century after war damage.

No 24 The Cathedral Precincts. Former priory bakehouse. Built 1303.

No 25 The Cathedral Precincts. Formerly part of priory brewhouse.
Modern extensions at rear.

No 26 The Cathedral Precincts. Large modern building incorporating
medieval parts. (3)

No 25 The Precincts, which is dated 1659 across the first floor in
brick, replaced a section of the monastic brewhouse/bakehouse range,
which had partially collapsed in 1635. This collapsed section formed
the north-western limit of buildings allocated to the Dean after the
Dissolution. The records of this disorderly period are almost non-
existant and it is curious to find a building erected prior to the
restoration of the Dean and Chapter in 1660. (4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) City of Canterbury Kent Sept 1973 71
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Annotated Record Map
Source details : OS 1:500 1874
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Hist Builds Survey Cant City Council/RCHME 57022 7 of 12
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : CAT Ann Rep 10 1985-6 33 illust (J Bowen)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : 1066-1540
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Brewery, Granary, Gate, Priory
Evidence : Structure, Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built 1303
Monument End Date : 1303
Monument Start Date : 1303
Monument Type : Bakehouse, Priory
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : No 25 only
Monument End Date : 1659
Monument Start Date : 1659
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Now
Monument End Date : 1973
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : School
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Partial restoration after WW2
Monument End Date : 1973
Monument Start Date : 1939
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 170560
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TR 15 NE 62
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :