HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Pennance Farm

Hob Uid: 1446758
Location :
Cornwall
Falmouth
Grid Ref : SW7972503065
Summary : Pennance Farm. Group of barns and stables of mid to late 19th century and 20th century date.
More information : Pennance Farm. A group of barns and stables of mid to late 19th century and 20th century date. Grouped in a loose courtyard plan around three sides of a farmyard. The farmhouse is to the south east of these buildings. The barns and stables are made from rough local slate (shillit) with dressed granite quoins, door jambs and lintels, and a range of roof coverings including slate, corrugated asbestos and corrugated iron. The barn to the south west of the yard has

Oldest part is the north west range, which is of early 19th century date, and appears on the 1840 tithe map. This range is of three bays with a large central cart opening flanked. Internally, the barn has been considerably altered with the insertion of modern loose boxes at the southern end and 20th century cattle stalling at the northern end. A series 20th century barns of timber framing covered with corrugated sheeting abut the barn on the south western end in the position of an earlier barn shown on the 1590 map.

Lying at the north eastern corner of the complex and on a different alignment is a small two bay late 19th century barn with a central plank door. Immediately adjacent to this is on the north east side of the yard is a long two storey range with a hipped roof. The barn has two doors. At the northern end of the building is a timber framed horse engine house, now clad in corrugated iron.

The south west range includes four barns of varying height and depth from single storey at the eastern end to double height at the west. At the eastern end the range has been considerably altered with much of the front being opened out and a number of massive granite orthostats which the owner suggests were inserted by the previous owner to create garaging.

Documentary research undertaken by the owner revealed the earliest mention of a farm in the area was in 1313 when it was part of the ¿Manor of Pennans¿. The Burghley Map of c.1590 shows a farm in the area identified as ¿Pennans¿ although the buildings are not clearly shown in their present position. By the tithe map of 1840, however, the farmhouse and the north westernmost range of barns are shown in their present position. All of the barns are present by the first Ordinance Survey map of 1880. (1)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : English Heritage Listing File
Source details : Adviser's Report by Ms Porter, dated 14-AUG-2006
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : 1313 earliest reference
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1313
Monument Type : Farm
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Tudor
Display Date : c.1590
Monument End Date : 1600
Monument Start Date : 1580
Monument Type : Farm
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Georgian
Display Date : Early 19th century
Monument End Date : 1830
Monument Start Date : 1800
Monument Type : Farm
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Victorian
Display Date : Victorian
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1837
Monument Type : Farm
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : 20th Century
Monument End Date : 2000
Monument Start Date : 1901
Monument Type : Farm
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SW 73 SE 70
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :