HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Kings Gallery

Hob Uid: 1109469
Location :
Greater London Authority
Tower Hamlets
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ3367080470
Summary : The site of the King's Gallery at the Tower of London is known from documentary sources to have been located between the Salt and the Lanthorn Towers in the south east of the Tower of London complex. It was constructed by Henry VII and was of timber-framing with a plastered exterior. It was repaired by Henry VIII in 1533 prior to the coronation of Anne Boleyn when many of the royal lodgings were improved. By 1682 there were stable and a coach house against its southern side. Following a fire at the Lanthorn Tower in 1774 much of this building and those surrounding it were demolished to make way for a new Ordnance building.
More information :

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : English Heritage book of the Tower of London
Source details :
Page(s) : 56,88
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Excavations at the Salt Tower, Tower of London, 1976 [Roman to postmed levels]
Source details :
Page(s) : 95-106
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built c 1510
Monument End Date : 1520
Monument Start Date : 1500
Monument Type : Timber Framed Building, House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Repaired 1533
Monument End Date : 1533
Monument Start Date : 1533
Monument Type : Timber Framed Building
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1682
Monument Start Date : 1682
Monument Type : Stable, Coach House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Demolished 1774
Monument End Date : 1774
Monument Start Date : 1774
Monument Type : Timber Framed Building
Evidence : Destroyed Monument

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 38 SW 1563
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :