HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Comberow Station

Hob Uid: 975191
Location :
Somerset
Somerset West and Taunton
Old Cleeve
Grid Ref : ST0297935333
Summary : Remains of the station at Comberow, part of the West Somerset Mineral Railway, opened in 1856 and closed in 1898. The remains of the platform and station building are visible but have large saplings obscuring it. It is 25 metres long, 6 metre wide with a stone revetted front edge, 0.7 metres high. The remains of a demolished building, the station, lie on the platform. They comprise a stone revettment wall, 10 metres long and 1.7 metres high with a large ash growing out of it. A disturbed area to the front comprises demolition debris. The station masters house is now called Water House and has been modernised and extended.
More information : For details see county SMR. (1)

The station for the West Somerset Mineral Railway at Comberow was the official terminus of the passenger service, although passengers transferred to the open truck which ascended the incline. The buildings included a station building with a single platform, a water tower, several sidings and the stationmasters house (2).

The remains of the platform and station building are visible at ST 0297 3533. The platform is overgrown with large saplings obscuring it. It is 25m long, 6m wide with a stone revetted front edge, 0.7m high. The remains of a demolished building, the station, lie on the platform. They comprise a stone revettment wall, 10m long and 1.7m high with a large ash growing out of it. A disturbed area to the front comprises demolition debris. The stationmasters house is now called Comberow Cottage (ST 0292 3527), and has been modernised and extended (3).

The station was demolished in the 1930s (4).

The remains of Comberow Station comprising the station platform, the revetment wall of the station building, a water tank support and the buried remains of a culvert. Scheduled. (5)

The Station Master's house is now called Water House. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Externally held archive reference
Source details : Somerset County Council SMR 29 Sep 1986
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The West Somerset mineral railway and the story of the Brendon Hills iron mines
Source details : Sellick R 1970 The West Somerset Mineral Railway
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : Riley H 1998 RCHME Field Investigation
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Pers. Comm. 1998, owner of Timwood Farm Cottages.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 03-Sep-04
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Email correspondence Mr Moss 04-JAN-2015
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Opened 1856
Monument End Date : 1856
Monument Start Date : 1856
Monument Type : Railway Station, Waiting Room, Booking Office, Station Masters House, Railway Platform, Water Point, Platform, Culvert
Evidence : Ruined Building, Extant Building, Structure, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Closed 1898
Monument End Date : 1898
Monument Start Date : 1898
Monument Type : Railway Station
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Now
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Somerset)
External Cross Reference Number : Somer 34379
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 7990
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 33072
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : ST 03 NW 41
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1404910
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, NAR/SMR DATA EXCHANGE PILOT
Activity type : MEASURED SURVEY
Start Date : 1986-01-01
End Date : 1986-12-31