HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Trenchard House

Hob Uid: 1430912
Location :
Wiltshire
Upavon
Grid Ref : SU1582654909
Summary : The former Royal Flying Corps station headquarters and possible guardhouse built between 1913-1914, now a museum at Upavon Camp, Trenchard Lines. It is a single storey rendered brick building with end wings and an asbestos slate roof. The wings are linked by a glazed corridor. The front features a verandah. After 1917, the building was extended by a block to the north-east. It is part of an important group of purpose built buildings constructed for the Royal Flying Corps Central Flying School. The building is now part of an Army camp, and is dedicated to an exhibition of the work of the military aviation pioneer Hugh Trenchard. It is a Grade II Listed Building.
More information : The Trenchard Building, (Building 70), Upavon Camp, a Grade II Listed Building. Station headquarters for the Royal Flying Corps, Central Flying School, now museum. 1913. Lined rendering on brickwork. Asbestos slate roof. Single storey. Central line of rooms with forward end wings, and glazed corridor between. Entrance at each end of corridor up flight of steps. Twelve-pane sash windows with sloping lead clad sills. Extension block at north-east end post 1917, containing conference/briefing room.
Interior: West end restored as commandant's office and ante-room. One of an important group of purpose-built buildings for the
Central Flying School established here in 1912, under the command of Captain Paine, RN, and Major, later Viscount, Trenchard. The group comprises The Trenchard Building, Officers' Mess, Avon Club, the post office, Racquet Court (c1912), Sergeants' Mess, four senior NCOs' quarters on Devon Road (1914-1929), four Junior Officers' quarters on York Road, Paine Cottage (Commandant's house 1912-15) and Lord House (Single Officers' quarters). Listing NGR: SU 15825 54909. (1)

Building 70, the Trenchard building: A former guardhouse of 1914, with a classic front verandah. Now a museum dedicated to the work of Trenchard. (2)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of Kennet, 03-JUN-1986
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : English Heritage Thematic Listing Programme, May 2003: "Military Aviation Sites and Structures Summary Report", Annexe 1, umpaged.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Built 1913-1914
Monument End Date : 1914
Monument Start Date : 1913
Monument Type : Station Headquarters, Guardhouse
Evidence : Extant Building, Conjectural Evidence
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Extended post 1917
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1917
Monument Type : Station Headquarters
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 21st Century
Display Date : Use in 2003
Monument End Date : 2003
Monument Start Date : 2003
Monument Type : Museum
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 311090
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SU 15 SE 122
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :