HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 1545549

Hob Uid: 1545549
Location :
Medway
Hoo St. Werburgh
Grid Ref : TQ7540973543
Summary : A Second World War temporary magazine and camp, visible on aerial photographs taken in the 1940s, has been mapped as part of the English Heritage: Hoo Peninsula Landscape Project. The installation occupied a site adjacent to the west end of Lodge Hill Armament Depot (Monument 1077634) and just north of Chattenden Magazines (Monument 1481790). Aerial photographs taken in 1944 show at least 35 temporary buildings arranged around the edges of an open field, the centre of which was covered with patches of flattened grass and areas of hard standing which probably represent the footprint of a rocket projector battery constructed in about 1942, recorded as Monument 1454727. Photographs taken in 1945 show the open central area occupied by pairs of temporary buildings or Nissen huts, with twelve pairs being visible by 1947. A further cluster of military buildings occupied the southern part of the site. The Nissen huts and most of the rest of the buildings were removed in the 1960s when the area was developed as the Lodge Hill Camp and the northern parts of the area were given over to training activities.
More information : A Second World War temporary magazine and camp, visible on aerial photographs taken in the 1940s, has been mapped as part of the English Heritage: Hoo Peninsula Landscape Project. The installation, centre at TQ 7540 7354, occupied a 13.45 hectare site adjacent to the west end of Lodge Hill Armament Depot (Monument 1077634) and just north of Chattenden Magazines (Monument 1481790). The dimensions of the site were 493m north to south and 380m east to west. It was bounded on the east by Lodge Hill Lane, on the north by Berry Court Wood, on the west by Chattenden Wood and on the south by the course of the Chattenden and Upnor military railway.

Aerial photographs taken in 1944 show at least 35 temporary buildings arranged around the edges of an open field, the centre of which was covered with patches of flattened grass, suggesting the deposition of materials or stores, and five areas of hard standing. Photographs taken in 1945 show the open area occupied by pairs of temporary buildings or Nissen huts, with twelve pairs being visible by 1947. This area, the temporary magazine, was centred at TQ 7538 7361. A further cluster of military buildings occupied the southern part of the site, centred at TQ 7560 7340. The Nissen huts and almost all of the other buildings were removed in the 1960s when the area was developed as the Lodge Hill Camp and the northern parts of the area were given over to training activities. (1-4)

Further research indicates that the patches of flattened grass and areas of hard standing visible on the 1944 photographs, described above, probably represent the footprint of a sixty-four single barrelled UP rocket projector battery constructed in about 1942, recorded as Monument 1454727. A semi circular area at TQ 7549 7342, enclosed by the southern perimeter fence of this temporaty camp, could indicate a disused GL site associated with the rocket projector battery. (5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Built Heritage Baseline Assessment in respect of Chattenden Barracks and Lodge
Source details : Lowe, J.
Page(s) : 17, 27, 29, 46
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR US/7GR/LOC348 3062 27-MAY-1944
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR RAF/106G/UK/682 2067 23-AUG-1945
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR RAF/CPE/UK/1923 4084 16-JAN-1947
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : RCHME/EH/HE Aerial Photographers comment
Source details : Cathy Stoertz/01-NOV-2011/English Heritage: Hoo Peninsula Landscape Project
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 77 SE 239
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1481790
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1548435
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1546590
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1418706
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1077634
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1546702
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1547246
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1549979
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1547566
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1454727
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1547587
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, ENGLISH HERITAGE: HOO PENINSULA LANDSCAPE PROJECT NMP
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2010-09-01
End Date : 2012-03-01