HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 464444

Hob Uid: 464444
Location :
Kent
Canterbury
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TR1515058030
Summary : Excavations were carried out in 1979-80 on a site prior to development at the east end of the Cathedral Precincts in the garden formerly attached to Linacre House a short distance from the city wall. These found some evidence of Roman occupation and activity possibly associated with iron working. In late Saxon or early Norman times a cobbled street was laid down across the area and medieval buildings associated with this were uncovered. In the middle of the 12th century the Priory boundary was consolidated and a boundary wall built. Domestic occupation continued for a while but ceased by the middle of the 14th century. The boundary wall was re-routed to include land to the south of the site in circa 1400. During the later 14th and 15th centuries the area outside the boundary wall probably functioned as a garden. Numerous medieval buildings grew up around the site. These were destroyed in the mid 17th century and since the late 17th century the area reverted to use again as a garden.
More information : (TR 15155803 Sited to Kings School only) Roman occupation, saxon pottery, a Medieval boundary wall and buildings, located at Linacre
Gardens, Kings School. (1-2)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Canterbury Archaeological Trust annual report
Source details : 1978-79 (J Driver)
Page(s) : Dec-14
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 3
Source Number : 2
Source : Britannia : a journal of Romano-British and kindred studies
Source details : 1979 (R Goodburn)
Page(s) : 334
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 10
Source Number : 3
Source : Excavations in the Cathedral precincts, 2 : Linacre Garden, 'Meister Omers', and St Gabriel's Chapel
Source details :
Page(s) : 37
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Vol.4

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Roman
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 410
Monument Start Date : 43
Monument Type : Iron Working Site
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : Late Saxon/ early Medieval
Monument End Date : 1100
Monument Start Date : 870
Monument Type : Findspot, Road, Building
Evidence : Find, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Middle of C12
Monument End Date : 1166
Monument Start Date : 1133
Monument Type : Boundary Wall
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Later C14 and C15
Monument End Date : 1499
Monument Start Date : 1367
Monument Type : Garden
Evidence : Enhanced Natural Feature
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Second half C15
Monument End Date : 1499
Monument Start Date : 1450
Monument Type : Chapel, Cellar
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : LATE C17
Monument End Date : 1699
Monument Start Date : 1667
Monument Type : Garden
Evidence : Enhanced Natural Feature

Components and Objects:
Period : Early Medieval
Component Monument Type : Findspot, Road, Building
Object Type : VESSEL
Object Material : Pottery

Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : KE 281
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : KE 335
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TR 15 NE 102
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, LINACRE GARDEN, THE PRECINCTS
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1978-01-01
End Date : 1979-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, LINACRE GARDENS
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1984-01-01
End Date : 1984-12-31