HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

The Bayle Gate

Hob Uid: 915624
Location :
East Riding of Yorkshire
Bridlington
Grid Ref : TA1758067890
Summary : A large square castellated gatehouse. Built circa 1388, it became the principal entance to the Priory. The upper part was partially rebuilt in brick in the 17th century. Used as post-Medieval dissenter's meeting house, school and prison. This record contains material formerly recorded as TA 16 NE 3 (HOB UID 80985).
More information : [TA 17586789] Bayle Gate [GT] (1)

"The gatehouse, though altered in some details, remains substantially
as it was built about the year 1390. The Priory obtained a licence
to crenellate from King Richard II in 1388, and there is little doubt
that this gatehouse was built as a result. "The upper portion of the
west front..."has been extensively patched in with brick-work,
possibly in early Jacobean times"..."The Kidcote or Prior's" prison,
and until almost modern times the town prison was in the Bayle Gate.
In the upper room, now a museum, ...the Lords Feofees of the Manor of
Bridlington have met uninterruptedly since 1636, and with some
intervals since 1566. The room has also been used for the Manor
Courts, ...a meeting house of Dissenters in the time of Charles II, a
prison for sailors captured off Bridlington in Commonwealth times,
and a school-house. (2)

The gatehouse is adequately described by authority (2). It is now a
museum.
See GPs AO/60/28/7 for SW aspect
and AO/60/98/4 " NE " (3)

The Bayle Gate. A large square castellated gatehouse of freestone,
with arched entrance and postern. Thsi was the principal entrance to
the Priory, and was built circa 1388 when Richard II licenced the Prior to
crenellate. The upper part was partially rebuilt with brick in the
17th century. Grade 1. (4)

TA 176 678. The Bayle Gate. Scheduled No HU/184. (5)

[Marginal] At Bridlington "there was an endowment in
the reign of Henry VI for teaching a dozen choristers grammar" (6)

The school founded by Henry VI was probably of the secular type common to monastic establishments, quartered in the almonry; in this case the Bayle Gate at TA 17586789.

From 1636 ample evidence exists for a school quartered in the Bayle, assumed to be that endowed by William Hustler. In 1831
there were twenty boys in the school, but by this time its quarters were in a warehouse-like building off the old Market
Place, the Bayle having been appropriated in 1818 for the
commencement of the National School. The school was closed in
1866. (7)

The Grammar School is shown on the O.S. 1/1056 edition of 1853
at TA 17536798.

This may be the building referred to by authority (7), or further intermediate quarters occupied between 1818 and 1866

The School was closed until the present site at TA 17076695 was
occupied in 1899. It is now known as Bridlington School. (a) (8)

This record contains material formerly recorded as TA 16 NE 3 (HOB UID 80985) which was deleted as it was a duplicate record. (9)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : O.S. 25" 1893
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Bridlington Priory Church
Source details :
Page(s) : 14, 17
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 R W Emsley 17-JUN-60
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE Listed Buildings Dist of North Wolds Humbs 9-Jan-1976 1
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : SAM List Humberside March 1994
Page(s) : 10
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Transactions of the East Riding Antiquarian Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 67
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 5, 1897
Source Number : 7
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : R2 RWE 08-JUN-60
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7A
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Horspool, Robert, 1933, The Bayle at Bridlington
Page(s) : 12, 13
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 RWE 18-JUN-60
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8A
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Inf. Sec. Grammar School
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1388
Monument Type : Gatehouse
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : School, Prison, Nonconformist Meeting House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date :
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1901
Monument Type : Museum
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : HU 184
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TA 16 NE 113
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TA 16 NE 3
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1960-06-18
End Date : 1960-06-18