HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Kings School

Hob Uid: 464423
Location :
Kent
Canterbury
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TR1512058120
Summary : The King's School was founded by Henry VIII and located in the buildings on the east side of Mint Yard. It was afterwards transferred to the Chapel of the Almonry on the south side of Mint Yard. The school currently occupies a number of buildings both old and modern throughout the Cathedral Precincts. Walpole House, Meister Omers, Luxmore are all boarding houses of the school. Mitchinsons, built 1980-1 is for day boys and the whole of the north side of Green Court comprising the bakehouse, brewhouse and granary of Christchurch Priory are now the classrooms of the school. The Great Hall of King's School was built 1955-7 and the library occupies the site of the Aula Nova.
More information : [TR15125812] Kings School [NR]. (1)

The King's School founded by Henry VIII was located in the buildings
on the east side of the mint yard and afterwards transferred to the
Chapel of the Almonary which stood on the south side. (2)

(TR15125812) King's School (NAT). (3)

Additional bibliography. (4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1962
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Archaeologia Cantiana : being contributions to the history and archaeology of Kent
Source details : 1868 (R Willis)
Page(s) : 152
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 7
Source Number : 3
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:10000 1979
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : BOE NE & E Kent 1983 224-226 (J Newman)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Later additions 1955-7
Monument End Date : 1957
Monument Start Date : 1955
Monument Type : Great Hall, School
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Later additions
Monument End Date : 1981
Monument Start Date : 1980
Monument Type : School
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TR 15 NE 81
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 464491
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 464440
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 464460
Relationship type :

Related Activities :