HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

The Deanery

Hob Uid: 464401
Location :
Kent
Canterbury
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TR1519057980
Summary : The Deanery is a large long building built in flint and brick, is of several periods and was originally the Priors Guest House. A tower was added at the south end in the late 15th century and a section dating from the late 16th century was damaged by bombing during the Second World War and later rebuilt. The building is now the Deanery and the Offices for the Cathedral Appeal Fund.
More information : (TR 15195798) The Deanery (NAT). (1)

The Cathedral Precincts: No 20 (The Deanery). No 21 (The Cathedral
Appeal Fund Office). Grade I. The Deanery is a large long building
of several periods originally the prior's Guest house. At the south
end is a 15th c tower. Next to this is a section dating from the 16th c damaged by bombing and rebuilt in facsimile. To the north is another.
15. The facade of No.21 is largely 19thc but contains a Medieval arch. (2)

Additional bibliography. (3)

(TR 15205800) Deanery [NR]. (4)

No 20 The Cathedral Precincts. Several periods of building. At
south end the tower of 1473-5, then late 16th century section (dated
1570 on eastern gables), rebuilt after bomb damage on west side. The
north part is early 15th century.
No 21 The Cathedral Precincts. Medieval building much altered in
19th century. (5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Annotated Record Map
Source details : OS 1:1250 1972
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) City of Canterbury Kent Sept 1973 71
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : North east and east Kent
Source details : 1983
Page(s) : 225
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Annotated Record Map
Source details : OS 1:500 1874
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Hist Builds Survey Cant City Council/RCHME 57022 6 of 12
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Early C15
Monument End Date : 1432
Monument Start Date : 1400
Monument Type : Monastic Dwelling, Guest House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Additions 1473-1475
Monument End Date : 1475
Monument Start Date : 1473
Monument Type : Guest House, Tower
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Late C16 additions
Monument End Date : 1599
Monument Start Date : 1567
Monument Type : Guest House
Evidence : Destroyed Monument
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C19 alterations
Monument End Date : 1899
Monument Start Date : 1800
Monument Type : Building
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Now
Monument End Date : 1973
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Office, Deanery
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Rebuilt after WW2 damage
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1939
Monument Type : Building
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 170559
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TR 15 NE 59
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :