HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > HE PastScape Result
View this record on HE PastScapePrintable version | About HE PastScape | Visit HE PastScape online...

St James Church
County: DoncasterMr David Clayton
Copyright: Mr David Clayton
District: DONCASTER
Parish: HIGH MELTON
Monument Number: ( SE 50 SW 6 )
EARLY MEDIEVAL   CHURCH   1042 - 1066
EARLY MEDIEVAL   GRAVE MARKER   1042 - 1066
EARLY MEDIEVAL   GRAVE SLAB   1042 - 1066
MEDIEVAL   GRAVE MARKER   1066 - 1080
MEDIEVAL   GRAVE SLAB   1066 - 1080
MEDIEVAL   CHURCH   1101 - 1200
MEDIEVAL   CHURCH   1301 - 1400
MEDIEVAL   CHURCH   1401 - 1500
POST MEDIEVAL   CHURCH   1801 - 1900
Church possibly of pre-Conquest, though listed as 12th century with 14th and 15th century additions. The building was restored in the 19th century. Built of ashlar and rubble limestone, with stone slate roofs. The church consists of a west tower, south porch, two-bay nave and two-bay chancel with a continuous south aisle overlapping the tower. Six grave-covers or grave-markers are possibly Saxo-Norman.

Sources
Field Investigators Comments
F1 RWE 25-AUG-64
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
District of Doncaster, 11/04/1986
Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
OS 6" 1956
Yorkshire : the West Ridingby Nikolaus Pevsner
Saxon churches in South Yorkshireby P F Ryder
Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture Volume VIII: Western YorkshireCoatsworth, Elizabeth